Re: i need to know how world war one affected women

Author Subject: Re: i need to know how world war one affected women
Sam Posted At 00:50:02 12/04/2002
Hi Amy! I am actualy writing a paper on that subject right now. The war affected women in a number of ways. For one thing, women were allowed to enter the work force. Many women went to work in factories and as trolley car drivers. Other women went to work in the fields. Many women became nurses. However, most women did not enjoy this line of work.
During the war women became an important part of the work force. Since most of the men were off fighting, the women were needed to stay home and run things so that the ecomony would not completly fall apart. However, things were not easy at the home front.
Many women lost men in their lives, their husbands, brothers, and fathers. Before the war, women mostly depended on men for finiancial support. But with so many gone to battle and then dying, women had to to go work just to support themselves.
During the war, women were also viewed as important. Images of women on posters and postcards were to provide inspiration for the men in battle. The belief was that when a man saw the image of a woman he would be reminded of what he was fighting to protect. But he would also get a sense of comfort thinking about his loved one at home.
Society also wanted women to focus on having children. With so many people dying there would be a population decline. In order to keep the population numbers up, women and men were asked to reproduce.
During the war there were many things that women were asked to do: go to work, volunteer, have kids, etc.
However, the role of women did not remain this way after the war. Once the war was over and the men began to return home, women were expected to return to the kitchens and hearths as before.
Anna Re: i need to know how world war one affected women (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 05:25:54 01/17/2003

sam, can u please give me one source of what happened to women after the war...and about not having their rights after the war. thank u!
sumaya Re: i need to know how world war one affected women (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 12:37:59 03/07/2003

hi sam i really liked your artical about how did world war one affected women.i was wondering if you can help me out.i'm doing a project on nurses in world war one. thank you!
you can email me at chitowngudiya@hotmail.com
jessica k Re: i need to know how world war one affected women (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 11:49:06 09/17/2003

Hi Sam me and my friend are doing a essey on womens roles in the war we need to know things like when these changes started taking place, and where it happened , and why it happened, and the outcome of these situations.We have half of this project done but we need your help on the second half .I thank u very much for taking your time to read this and would be very pleased if uyou could email me back with my questions answerd ...sincerly jess & allie
melissa roaring twenties (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 01:33:10 09/23/2003

1)what expectations of men did women have after World war one?
2)how did the social change affect Australian politics during the 1920's?

Sam Re: i need to know how world war one affected women (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 09:34:46 10/04/2003

I AM NOT HELPING ANY OF YOU, YOUR ALL IDIOTS DO IT YOURSELF
nye Re: i need to know how world war one affected women (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 15:39:19 11/06/2003

lol nicely said sam. wel y'all herd? ? ?
nice mini essay you wrote. im just doing about it now in history. they both did loads in the war and for the record im against war all the way. thankz 4 your time,
nye
stephanie mortimer Re: i need to know how world war one affected women (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 07:52:33 12/06/2003

hi i am doing a essay on world war one i need to act out a play,a play on how the war affected women on a daily basses
Jessica Re: i need to know how world war one affected women (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 20:42:05 12/08/2003

Actually I ahve been studying world war 2 for the past couple days in class and after the wsa over 80% of the women wanted to keep their jobs but had to stay home and run the family.

This post is part of the War and Gender forum.